header_guyindesert1.png

Dear friends, family, and members of the public who are taking a few moments to stop by and read this important message and plea for help:

The time has come for my friend, Meredith Hucke, and her parents Ken and Linda Hucke, of suburban Philadelphia, to reach out to the public and the news media for help. Meredith, who is 38 years old, is a friend of mine, and she is desperate need of a new healthy kidney from a living organ donor in order to stay alive.

Meredith was born in 1973 and in 1976 she was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Twenty five years later, in 2001, Meredith’s kidneys failed. [The kidneys have important roles in maintaining health. When healthy, the kidneys maintain the body's internal equilibrium of water and minerals (sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sulfate). Those acidic metabolism end products that the body cannot get rid of via respiration are also excreted through the kidneys. The kidneys also function as a part of the endocrine system.] When Meredith’s kidneys failed in 2001, she was put on a transplant list so she could receive a kidney. Because she had diabetes and because her kidneys failed, she also needed a pancreas at that same time. So she underwent both a kidney and pancreas transplant in 2002 where she received the organs from a cadaver (yes, a dead human body).

The shelf-life for cadaver organs is about 10 to 15 years. And now that it’s 2011, the shelf-life of the kidney Meredith currently has in her body has failed.  It is not working at all. And Meredith is in urgent need of a new one in order to stay alive.

Dialysis is the only thing that is keeping Meredith alive right now. Dialysis is a process for removing waste and excess water from the blood, and is primarily used to provide an artificial replacement for lost kidney function. When a patient receives dialysis it does wear out their veins and is very stressful and taxing on the body. And in time, dialysis patients cannot tolerate the process if they are on it for too long. Meredith is currently receiving dialysis 3 days a week and as you can imagine, it’s pretty stressful on her body.

Currently, Meredith is in an urgent healthcare state. She needs a kidney from a living organ donor; someone who is willing to give one of their unneeded kidneys to her.

What is great and encouraging news it that the human body has two kidneys but we only need one to live and survive. So someone who is in a good health condition and willing to help Meredith, can indeed help if they would like to. The criteria to give a kidney to Meredith is really simple. A living organ donor must be under age 60, be in generally good health, and have an O+ or O- blood type. That’s it.

Meredith is currently on a national “waiting list” where thousands of organ transplant patients just like her are also waiting…. where they “sit” a wait for a live organ donor to come forward. This list is made up of over 10,000 people. Frankly, the chances of Meredith getting a living organ from this national list is very slim. And as you can imagine, this is very hard for Meredith and her family.

Meredith, Linda and Ken (her parents) and I all believe in the power of social media. We believe that social media communications and networks can help make Meredith’s story become viral, and help Meredith find a donor rather quickly.

We are kindly asking everyone to please take a few minutes and watch The Hucke’s 4-minute video of where they are asking for help. Then take another minute or two and share and push this simple communication out onto any and all of your social media networks (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, etc.). We believe that the impact in doing so, really could help save Meredith’s life. Thank you.

If you or anyone you know is interested in becoming a donor for Meredith, please contact Ken and Linda Hucke at the contact information below. They will explain the organ donation process to you, and they will provide you with the paperwork and application where an approval will be given by The University of Pennsylvania to see if you meet the requirements. There is no cost involved in being a live organ donor.

Please contact:

Linda & Ken Hucke
215-938-1720
khucke@verizon.net
kelimeryn@verizon.net

Both I and the Hucke family thank everyone for their help in advance, the prayers that have been sent Meredith’s way, and the kind words of encouragement. Whatever help you can give to help spread the word about Meredith’s urgent need, the more grateful the family will be.

We all remain positive, and we let God bless the rest.

And from the bottom of Meredith’s heart – she says “Thank you!”

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • MySpace
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Bookmarks

About Leigh Fazzina

Comments

24 Responses to “A Living Kidney Organ Donor is Needed to Save Meredith Hucke’s Life. PLEASE HELP!”
  1. Kate DelBono says:

Leah~u did an amazing job with this post. I truly had tears in my eyes and think (as I am sure everyone that knows this wonderful family) u absolutely ‘nailed’ it. She looks beautiful and everything you wrote was so informative and to the point. Thank you! I have know Mer since birth and have lived with her my whole life and this awful disease both her and Kathryn have had to endure. I have 615 friends on FB (one of whom we have a mutual~Hody!) and just posted this. The power of social media I believe CAN save a life. U did a beautiful job and I just wanted to tell you~kate delbono

2. Marion Flynn says:

I am in the national donor registry already, and am happy to donate, if I am a match.

3. Carolyn Graham donis says:

Dear Meredith,
    I’m not sure if you remember me but my older sister Marybeth was in you class
    At gma. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and let you know to keep your
    Head high:) my sister in law was diagnosed w polycistic kidney disease a few years
    Ago and was also on dialysis 3 days a week 3-5 hrs per session. My husband
    Decided to donate his kidney and I was amazed at what a common procedure
    It was. Almost 2 years later they are both living healthy lives. Miracles do happen
    And I truly believe yours will too.

4. Gretchen hambly says:

Hi Meredith, wow how moving, i reposted and just wanted to send love, light and prayers for a beautiful perfect march to flow into your lives. All my love,
    gretchen

5. Tootsie says:

Lots of love, Meredith! We’re spreading the word and saying lots of prayers that your perfect match is quickly found.

6. Meredith Dankanis says:

On February 28th I became a living kideny donor with my nephew being the recipient. I obviously can’t donate again, but I would be more then happy to talk to anyone interested in donating to Meredith who has questions, concerns or just wants the real deal from someone who just donated. Please please reach out at merehall11@yahoo.com if I can help. Meredith is in my prayers.

7. Brett McMenimon says:

Can a donor only be type 0+?

Or would someone who is 0- work as well?

8. Hi Brett.

Yes, anyone who is O+ or O- can be a donor. Are you O- ?

Leigh Fazzina

9. This is great of you for offering this up! I will pass this along to those who have expressed interest and make sure Ken and Linda Hucke are aware of this too. Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us.

All the best with the kidney you received too!

10. Leah Lackman says:

Hi, my name is Leah I am O+….if you still need help feel free to contact me.

11. Wanda says:

I’m O+ and healthy. How does this work? What would my recovery time be? I am in Illinois. Could you please email me with details?

12. Denise says:

I’m O+ and healthy. I live in Buck’s county Pa. Can I please receive more details?

13. Hi everyone. I have forwarded all these questions and inquiries onto the Hucke’s and copied you all on the emails so you can speak directly to the family. Thank you for your interest.

14. Ken Hucke says:

Words can’t express our gratitude! Please feel free to contact us directly at any time. Thank you, thank you!!
    Linda, Ken, Kathryn & Meredith. [ps...the Living Donor Referral Form is available online @ pennmedicine.org]

15. Lisa Rosado says:

Hi Leigh–Wonderful idea and also very touching… My prayers are with Meredith that she may receive a perfect match and live a long and prosperous life. I will repost and just wanted to send love and prayers to Meredith and her family. May the energy of all of our circles increase the willingness to help flow into their lives. ~Lots of love, Lisa

16. Joanna Webb Bigley says:

Taylor and I have posted your link on our Facebook pages. The Webbs are all working on it with Facebook and prayers.

Love always, joanna

17. Phil Dromey's siblings says:

To the Huckes – What a beautiful and moving piece. We will be happy to pass this along to our friends and family. We continue to keep Meredith in our prayers. Phil Dromey’s siblings

18. margot jolly says:

I am the happy donor of a kidney to a dear friend two years ago. He had polycystic kidney disease himself, and was on dialysis 3 days a week. Fortunately, we were able to go to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fl to have this done. It was absolutely amazing how “easy” it was to do…a little inconvenient, yes, but otherwise not a big deal. I am presently 62 years old, as is my recipient…he works, plays golf, and travels and I continue in my design business and playing with grandchildren!

It has been such a blessing in my life to be able to GIVE LIFE to another. I pray for the Hucke family, that they are blessed with a donor as well.

19. Kevin Walsh says:

Leigh,
    What a good friend you are to Meredith. We should all be so lucky to know someone like you, and Meredith. The above poster Margot Jolly says a lot about what it means to be blessed to be a donor. Having been a donor in another potentially life-saving matter too, I think we can both speak to the gift that comes in return. That’s not why we do it of course, but it’s a wonderful thing that stays with you for life. I can’t think of anything else that’s quite like it.

20. Tracy Murray (Guenther) says:

Coach Hucke
    I am thinking of you and praying for you. I am passing this on to family and friends. My mom and I are praying for you and thinking about you daily. You are a beautiful and strong woman.

With lots of love,
    Tracy and Karen

21. suresh says:

Hello,
    I am 32 year male form INDIA. My blood group is O+. I want to donate my kidney.
    You can contact me on prajapati29@gmail.com or +919724720053..

Thanks

22. Thank you Kevin. We really hope these efforts will help bring the match to Meredith. We have been getting interest from folks all over the world, and the Hucke’s are working with everyone interested to provide the info they need to go through the evaluation process.

Its great to hear that you yourself were/are a donor. What a wonderful gift! I agree.

Wishing you happy holidays.

Leigh

23. Sara says:

Thank you for posting this! I’ve passed along to my networks. My father was a living donor 5 years ago and I’ve seen firsthand what a difference it can make in someone’s life. I’m currently 5 months pregnant so unable to volunteer at this time, but hopefully can help spread the word to find a donor. Thanks!

24. melissa says:

Was a match found? I seen this on facebook but I see all the post are from Novemeber. I’m blood type 0 and live in the philadelphia area.

Share Your Comments

If you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

Proudly using by